CPFAN Minutes, December 1, 2020
CPFAN Program & Board Meeting
December 1, 2020
Members in attendance at the Zoom meeting were: Sandrea Robnett, Georgia Garnsey, Woody Garnsey, Fred Bender, Patty Paul, Maria Flora, Hank Bootz, Maria Flora, Lindsey McCune, John Brett, Kelly Crosby, David Scarbeary, and Jackie Altreuter
Sandy Robnett called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm.
Those present introduced themselves. Sandy called on Jackie Altreuter, Director of Membership for the Denver Museum of Nature and Science to begin her presentation on DMNS’ Nearby Nature project for City Park. Jackie discussed the relationship of DMNS and DPR, particularly in regard to the small SE playground and restoration of the De Boer Waterway. Jackie emphasized how much her DMNS team valued the importance of listening to citizens and creating authentic community engagement so that the Nearby Nature design would be truly community driven. “We want to ensure that the song of the heart of the community” is heard,” she said. Other important concepts Jackie discussed were the importance of being environmentally sensitive and creating a sustainable ecosystem. DMNS views nature as a bridge for people to connect with science. Jackie also reported that the community, especially the kids attending workshops, made it clear they wanted water restored to the DeBoer Canyon and its original waterway and she confirmed that DMNS, along with the Denver Department of Parks and Recreation was committed to that concept.
A screen shot provided by Jackie showed that Nearby Nature is envisioned for a large area extending from the DeBoer Canyon outside the museum to the existing South Playground and west to the 1925 DeBoer Lily Pond. At the CPFAN Meeting on Feb. 2, Jackie will present actual design concepts for Nearby Nature and looks forward to our response.
- Sandy called the Board meeting to order at 7:01 PM
- Fred Bender made a motion to approve the Secretary’s minutes for the 10/6/2020 meeting, and it was seconded by John Brett. The Motion passed.
III.Treasurer’s Report: ttThe treasurer reported $207.46 in the CPFAN account at UMB Bank. Patty made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report and Fred seconded. The motion passed.
- Kelly reported on the Nov. 20 clean-up day at City Park with volunteer East High School students. 27 students participated. Principal Youngquist was there to send off the students and commended their efforts. Kelly has generated a lot of interest in continuing collaborations with East High and CPFAN in City Park. He has begun to explore a collaborative art project in the spirit of the Color Field art installation. Students would work with community artists such as Color Field’s Sara Palmeri to create yearly temporary art installations in City Park. Kelly will report back in Jan. on progress made.
- President’s Report: Georgia thanked board members for their participation in this year’s CPFAN activities and projects. She encouraged Board members to review CPFAN’s mission statement so we can discuss possible revisions and/or additions.
- Sandy reported that Maggie Price has been managing the CPFAN website. Sandy is working with her to eventually take over those responsibilities. Sandy also attended the District 9 Park Advisory Committee meeting with Lisa Calderon. There will be more to report on Lisa’s committee in the future.
- Sandy asked for a motion to adjourn the meeting. John moved to adjourn. Patty seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 7:35 pm.
157 total views, 1 views today